Sunday 27 March 2011

Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding


An Exceptionally Good Book...

After reading Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, I was perturbed to realise that I had no choice but to read Helen Fielding's 'Bridget Jones's Diary' next. We had only a limited number of BBC recommended novels in the house and, unfortunately for me, my housemate Catherine had already laid claim to 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks.

Still, I turned the first page with optimism and enthusiasm, assuring myself that reading a book about a women so geniously portrayed by Renee Zellweger in the 2001 smash hit movie of the same title, would at least be an experience. I love that movie. And I was right.

Bridget Jones's diary can in no way be described as literary genius in a complicated sense. It is a cleverly concocted and realistic piece of writing which most single women in their twenties and thirties can relate to, with a few ludicrous and inane storylines thrown in for dramatic effect.

But its genius is exactly that. I doubt there are many women who cannot relate to certain aspects of Fielding's witty writing.

Though I did not find myself laughing out loud as often as I would have liked, there were certain aspects of Bridget's life I found myself nodding in recognition of.

Who has not fallen for an idiot of man? We can all relate to Bridget's completely understandable but extremely unsensible obsession with her boss Daniel Clever, a man who is clearly cheating on her from the very beginning, but is so devastatingly sexy that the very idea he might fancy her leaves her deluded beyond belief. Of course he is using her. Of course he dumps her for a fit American. Of course her friends act as though they are surprised about it as she is.

Which of us can honestly say that we have not marvelled at the ever-changing digits on our scales, which see our weight fluctuate up and down within range of just four pounds within hours? I have more than once been seen to weigh myself, take some clothes off, weigh myself, have a wee, weigh myself again and not lose a single pound, only to stand on the scales the next day and have put on two.

And as for the mother... I had a conversation with my own mother recently which went something like this. "Mam, why is there cauliflower on my plate?"
"Because you like cauliflower?"
"No, I don't like cauliflower."
"Yes you do!"
Though everyone's mother may not be quite as dramatic as Bridget's, I think we can all say it is the exercised right of a mum to tell you what you like, who you should fancy, what you should wear...

"Eventually, I manage to cheer Mum up by allowing her to go through my wardrobe and criticize all my clothes..."

As a light read, Bridget Jones's Diary is brilliance. A hilarious insight into the life of a middle-class British woman, it is a story of an insatiable desire not to accept second best, an unwavering belief in true love and a tireless tale of real friendship. If you have seen the film you have by no means read the book. A worthy read from a gifted and intelligent writer with obvious first person insight into the hearts and minds of middle  aged women everywhere.

No comments: