Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Help - Kathryn Stockett


No Help Needed

I am reluctant to watch films that derived from literature before I have read the books. Keeping up with Hollywood is taking up a lot of my reading time at the moment. I am running about nine months behind the movies when I start reading ‘The Help’ by Kathryn Stockett.
It was a novel I was instantly impressed by. By page ten I was in love with everything to do with it.

There are so many beautiful, colourful characters in this book that it is difficult to decipher who is meant to be the main character. I am going to go with Skeeter Phelan though – just because I think that if we had met in real life we would have been friends. An awkward, wannabe writer frustrated with the racism she sees around her in 1960’s America, Skeeter decides that she will compile a book of stories directly from the mouths of the maids who serve her friends. Of course it will all be done in secret. Bad things happen to black people who disrespect white folk in these days.

Through construction of this book we meet the lovely Aibileen Clark, a woman so devastated by the death of her son that it is all she can do to love the daughter of her employer with every ounce of her heart. A pillar of the black community, Aibileen shows us the vulnerable side of Minny Jackson, a woman who once did an unthinkable thing with a chocolate pie. There are dozens of other character injecting drama into this beautiful story, but these were the main three for me. I cried and laughed at their exploits, pondered over their stories and found myself wondering what ever happened to them all. I was utterly obsessed over a group of fictional characters. Great job, Stockett.

The problems they encounter are predictable, but an absolute pleasure to read. I fell in love with both the good guys and the villains and hoped the whole way through that everyone would realise Skeeter was right about everything. I was not completely satisfied with the ending. I wanted another fifty or so pages of story, but this didn’t ruin the experience for me. A highly recommended comfort read.  

No comments: