Sunday 14 July 2013

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

"Zendagi migzara - Life Goes On"

This is nothing short of a beautiful book. But it is far from a beautiful story. Khaled Hosseini’s ‘The Kite Runner’ depicts the ugly side of the Middle East through terrifying storytelling.

At the age of twelve years old, Amir witnesses something on the streets of Afghanistan that will change him forever. He will never forgive his twelve year old self for being gripped with the fear and selfishness that stopped him intervening. Even the Russians invading his country does not leave Amir as psychologically scarred as the things he let happen that day. He moves to America to start his life again, but he never forgets the horror, even in adulthood.

Through every milestone in his life, Amir wonders about the harelipped kite runner he used to call his best friend. Hassan and Amir had once been inseparable. Now, because of Amir’s cowardice, they were thousands of miles apart. He had let his friend suffer a terrible pain and humiliation, and would never be able to make it right. Amir believes his punishment is to live with the guilt for the rest of his life. But fate has other ideas. Blissfully, Amir is given an opportunity for retribution. 

The Kite Runner is epically sad and thoroughly addictive. I was constantly surprised by it. When I was sure there was going to be happiness it was cruelly snatched away. Then, concerned about getting my hopes up and resigned to reading in sadness, there would suddenly shine a well-earned glimmer of hope.

When I love a book, I want to lend it to everyone in the world. I have already tried to force this one upon most of my friends. I have promised my copy out to countless people.  Seriously, I am going to have to develop a borrowing system because of this book. I want to recommend it to everyone, and I insist that you add it to your bedtime reading list.  It might be a bit morbid for a holiday read, but snaffle up every word of this on the beach if you aren’t as emotional as I am.

No comments: